Friday, November 18, 2011

Project - Pavers & Cement, Part I

I mentioned in my bio that I enjoyed doing projects around the house.  Here's the first of my experiments with pavers, concrete blocks and dry cement.  I've now done several projects with these materials and all for different reasons. I started out small to learn the results (of using dry cement mix).

Here are finished pictures of my first small scale project with the dry cement mix and pavers. This is an area where the rain water continually eroded the soil due to no rain gutters. I used a preformed plastic edging as a form, placed 2 small pavers to blend it with the driveway edging ... there are several pavers not visible beneath the grasses as the other edge.  Once the area was level and the 2 pavers in place, I poured (scooped actually) the quick-set cement. After leveling the cement, I brushed the dust from the pavers and sprayed the entire area with a water hose (very fine mist so not to displace the dry cement).  The cement is about 2" think for durability. I think I used 2 1/2 bags of the 50lb quick set (the kind for post setting).


It was easy and I really like the results visibly and no more erosion. I've done several more project using dry cement and will share those later.  Happy projecting!

1 comment:

  1. I like how this turned out (the work and the post). Good pics, too!

    ReplyDelete